Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » DIY Gunsmithing » Scope base
Scope base [message #29258] Sat, 01 March 2014 13:51 Go to next message
mikegsp is currently offline  mikegsp
Forum Newbie
I have just purchased my first tc encore, 243. When I mounted the scope base supplied by the seller ( 4 screw ) the forward edge is not in contact with the barrel . Is this due to the barrel taper and normal or do I have a problem ?
Re: Scope base [message #29259 is a reply to message #29258] Sat, 01 March 2014 14:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
If it mounts and looks tight underneath, It's normal and due to the taper. It can be "aided" by having another hole drilled and tapped in the base, and a set screw used to support the front. Many don't especially care that it's unsupported there, I peronnaly do, but that's a personal bias.

Jim
Re: Scope base [message #29274 is a reply to message #29259] Sat, 01 March 2014 19:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wwkmag is currently offline  wwkmag

How do you keep the extra front screw from marking the barrel?
Re: Scope base [message #29281 is a reply to message #29274] Sat, 01 March 2014 21:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
Think about it, ever consider a nylon tipped set screw?

Jim
Re: Scope base [message #29284 is a reply to message #29281] Sat, 01 March 2014 21:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Sounds good to me , does Brownells have those screws? Thank you for the info. I have always considered a pressure point there. Some one , maybe Bellm wrote an article about the base bending down slowly over a period of time, depending on the amount of shots. Causing a shift in POI.
Re: Scope base [message #29285 is a reply to message #29284] Sat, 01 March 2014 22:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
The POS weavers on a contender are worse That little "ledge" they have on the front. Even a 22LR will bend it with a ring out there. Bellm does drill and tap and will supply a set screw for the encores. Give Kurt a shout.
Jim
Re: Scope base [message #29296 is a reply to message #29285] Sun, 02 March 2014 15:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rchatting is currently offline  rchatting
Forum Regular
Mount the scope as far back on the base as possible, will reduce some of the cantilever effect. There is a one piece mount that TC sales that is much shorter and doesn't do that. It is quite pricey though. I picked up myself a couple on the clearance rack at Basspro for $15 Smile. I do not know if they still sell them as I couldn't find them on the TC webpage.
index.php?t=getfile&id=4723&private=0
Re: Scope base [message #29297 is a reply to message #29296] Sun, 02 March 2014 15:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
Oh my, I'd never do a duoring set, but that's just me
Jim
Re: Scope base [message #29299 is a reply to message #29297] Sun, 02 March 2014 17:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kc2htv is currently offline  kc2htv
Forum Regular
My two cents. I'm shooting a .243 15" Encore pistol. With a scope that costs more than the barrel, I choose Leupold mounts. The .243 recoil is
modest. I also use the Luie mounts on the 15" 30-06 and burris on my 7mm-08, not a problem after many, many rounds down the tube. Jim, is hooking me up with a set of DD's
for my Tender in 30-30. If it were a big bore I would send the barrel to Mike Bellam and have it set up for max recoil.
I see a .375 JDJ or equiv. in my future, and will send it to Mike to do the base mount, and muzzel break.

The barter system is alive and well, but the learning curve can be painful.

Certified NYS Hunter Safety Instructor.
Certified NYS Bow Hunter Safety Instructor.
Re: Scope base [message #29302 is a reply to message #29299] Sun, 02 March 2014 19:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
In a way I'm a lot "in tune" with Rick, and been for almost 34 years. I will only use Burris bases. My brother and I get a lot of weavers that have
been put on barrels, so we see a lot of them. Granted a good percentage are brand new. How do we know? The freaken screw aren't even tight,and a
"used" one always has a tell-tale sign, The back "notch" has been "smooched" on the back edge. The "slot" is is "square" and the Ring has a smaller ROUND
stud. The so-called clamps and the beveled "track" are SMOOTH. You can't hardly tighted it enough to keep it from slipping. The most difficult time I ever had
keeping a scope from moving was on a freakin AIR RIFLE. fter almost a year of trying almost a dozen "mounts", I finally succeeded in keeping a scope from sliding
a mount that a single "steel clamp" and FIVE screws to tighten it down. Look at a weaver base, it starts out with "Thin" metal, and by the time the holes get drilled
for the screw and it's head to be below surface, the metal that left in the bottom is THIN. Compare that to a Leupold. A)steel, not potmetal or popcan aluminum.
B. thicker so that remaining metal left under the screw is also thicker, and more SCREW to hold it down. Burris's are even thicker than the Leupolds.
Only pistol scope I put on a big-bore pistol is a Burris. And the BMW is the older 3-9X32 with AO and POSILOC. Once sighted in, it WILL NOT EVER lose adjustment or zero.
I just recently scored the sweetest deal on a use silver one for one of my new project barrels, 230.00.
Since 1995 when I got my SS 14 35 rem, and had it rechambered to 358JDJ, I've put exactly 28 rounds down the tube. A few were "wasted" sighting in, the rest have accounted for
22 elk, all from 250-325. All were one-shot kills and dead in their tracks, bang, fraction of a second on the ground dead. In my main hunters for deer, antelope, etc. shots to
over 400 all the same results. Never took a shot at any animal that wasn't cleanly killed, and never fired a shot that didn't result in a filled tag.
I'll pay 280 for a barrel, a little more for a rechamber, but will spend up to double for a GOOD scope. Aim small, miss small. one shot,one kill. I read about folks here
with "200" down the tube on a barrel for sale. Other than a 22 barrel, I doubt I have any that have more than 20-40. Oh yeah, those elk in that 358JDJ and the remaining 22 rounds
I have left are still "fire-form" rounds. I chuckle when someone posts a pix of a target with three holes "cloverleaf". The chuckle induced part is that cluster is 3-4 inches from the
"targeting point". In my view, yeah, nice "group", but at 100 a shot at a squirrel's head would have been a clean MISS. Tite group is worthless on game unless it hits POA.
Jim
Re: Scope base [message #29306 is a reply to message #29302] Sun, 02 March 2014 19:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Well said!! I use 3 rings on all my big bores, no problems....Mike..WWK
Re: Scope base [message #29309 is a reply to message #29306] Sun, 02 March 2014 19:47 Go to previous message
Top Contributor
I only use two, and they were always enough, never had a scope slip in rings. I've noticed an odd thing, tho, when I see
three rings, generally they are on a weaver or weaver style base, most times they are pretty "narrow", so probably the
same "grip surface area" as the rings I use. Plus a light rosin dusting helps with grip power. Biggest thing is I use
long scopes, Burris 3-9 or 3-12 on the lighter shooters. I want a ring as far forward as I can get, and thew other as far
back as I can get it as well. The short DD Louie's don't allow for much of that. I want as much TUBE SUPPORT as I can
give the scope. Duorings, and the other short one piece base/lower ring halves Don't give squat for tube support.
Jim
Previous Topic: Sights for Encore Shotgun Barrel ?
Next Topic: Forearm Question for Encore
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 00:54:25 EDT 2024