Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Reloading » 45 -70 (What pressure is the max for safe use in a contender carbine)
45 -70 [message #29665] Thu, 13 March 2014 11:36 Go to next message
bucky19 is currently offline  bucky19
Novice Contributor
I have a marlin 1895 lever action that i run a 250 gr barnes tsx in 53.5 AA 1680 data fron the barnes manual,wondering if this load would be safe in a contender carbine?
Re: 45 -70 [message #29668 is a reply to message #29665] Thu, 13 March 2014 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sunnysmarine is currently offline  sunnysmarine
G2 or G1 ? you might say ouch now and get it over with.. I have a 350 GNR still, on a G2 frame it makes me say ohhhh damn, but was told that the frame could take the pressure.. just not me
Re: 45 -70 [message #29670 is a reply to message #29665] Thu, 13 March 2014 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
Damn, lost a whole reply.

Most load data shows three "power" levels. "trapdoor", 28K; 95 Marlin, 40K; and bolt/Ruger #1, 50K.

GENERALLY you might get away with the 95 data, trapdoor is always good. HOWEVER, Use of the Barnes TSX throws a monkey wrench into the equation. BOTH SSK and NOSLER post cautions or even recommendations AGAINST use of solid copper bullets. SSK has ot right at the top of their on-;ine available reloading data for their chambers. Very slight increases in powder show HUGE jumps in pressures.

Nosler: (packed with E-tips)" Comments from the Lab__ We recommend starting with Nosler's minimum load and not exceed the mid load. *We recommend seating E-Tip products .050" to .090" off the rifling lands for optimal accuracy".

They may be fine for YOUR 95 Marlin, but not neccessarily fine for your contender. Go back to phase 1 in load development for your T/C gun. Cunsult several load sources. Barnes *may* have tested their data in a 95 Marlin, maybe not. Did they test in a contender or encore? Likely not. I would NOT just throw one of your 95 loads in your contender and pull the trigger. The chamber, throat, rifling etc will NOT be identical with your 95.

Jim
Re: 45 -70 [message #29675 is a reply to message #29670] Thu, 13 March 2014 14:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Novice Contributor
Thx Jim,It is a g1 frame..barnes said they tested in a marlin like mine but theres was a 24" and mine is a 21" thats the only difference,,it is one of the most accurate loads in my 45-70,it does jump a bit when you cut it loose but the weight of the gun helps,the cont carbine isnt near as heavy,so i am not sure abt those loads in the t-c,the barrel.. it is at mag na port right now getting a 4 port job done on it,hope that helps tame the recoil a bit..was thinkin abt running some 300 gr bullets in this set up but i need to figure out which ones,,any thoughts on hornady ftx,or gmx bullets i think the even have a 250 gr monoflex out aswell.

Thx for the help Jim
Re: 45 -70 [message #29676 is a reply to message #29675] Thu, 13 March 2014 15:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
the inches of barrel length isn't the critical component. Hmmmmm, something isn't Jiving. I have it by a reliable source that they never made a 45-70 21 tapered. 23's went to bulls.
Maybe it's a custom job?

Just a personal observation: I had a barrel magnaported, and in my opinion it was a waste of time and money. If you are looking for recoil reduction, get a "real" brake. Either a bellm integral, or White add-on.
Next: Bullet choice: OHIO? What are you planning to use it one? deer? elk? moose? black bear? grizzly or brown? Also, what range would be typical? Obviously those with a better BC helps with longer shot placement, same with "pointed" vs. flat or round nose. Please don't run those TSX 95 Marlins down your contender barrel, I don't want to see your name in the local OB section (and I don't mean birth announcements).
Jim
Re: 45 -70 [message #29680 is a reply to message #29676] Thu, 13 March 2014 15:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Novice Contributor
The 21 in barrel is on my marlin 1895,the cont carbine is a 23" bull that i just bought on the forum.I will be using it as a deer gun here in wisconsin and also in minnesota,might be a black bear hunt in there somewhere aswell,range would be less than 150 yds but at times could be a bit further but not often,wouldnt it be stupid not to use a pointed type bullet in the single shot since i dont have to deal with the tubular lever gun issue,I have had many port jobs done on other barrels and there is a diff in before and after felt recoil in my opinion..but to each his own..thx again for the input jim..I need to figure this thing out !!
Re: 45 -70 [message #29689 is a reply to message #29680] Thu, 13 March 2014 17:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
The Hornady 325 Gr FTX should be about as good as you'll find. The 250 mono-flex bothers me some. One reason I stayed away from the large bores (especially over .375) is lack of being able to find a bullet with decent BC's.
Jim
Re: 45 -70 [message #29721 is a reply to message #29689] Fri, 14 March 2014 09:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Novice Contributor
I will need to do some research into what bullet would work best..the 250 mono flex has data avalible for it from hornady,thought it might shoot a bit flatter than the 325 ftx,but that one would work also..what dont you like abt the 250 monoflex??
Re: 45 -70 [message #29723 is a reply to message #29721] Fri, 14 March 2014 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
They say that the bullet "material" is "harder" than copper. I believe that the "cautions" about monolithic bullets is because there isn't the "softer" lead under a thin bullet jacket, which "scribes" easier by the rifling. My "theory" is that this may be the root cause for the pressure spike increases experienced with their use. In a bolt gun or the stronger Ruger #1, those increases may not be materially sufficient to create problems, but with the break-actions like the encore and contender, it becomes a more critical concern. I think it's prudent to err on the conservative side with these guns.
Jim
Re: 45 -70 [message #29727 is a reply to message #29723] Fri, 14 March 2014 10:50 Go to previous message
Novice Contributor
Good info jim..I will need to check my hornady manual and see what gun they did there testing on with the monoflex,i think it was in a 1895 marlin,but they did alot with the encore also,,but I doubt anything was done in a contender carbine..I always thought it was interesting that the 45-70 was ok to shoot in the contender.(I know there loads were on the light side in the tc manual for the contender pistol).
Previous Topic: 338 bullet length ?
Next Topic: 17 Remington
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 04:24:13 EDT 2024