Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » DIY Gunsmithing » Super 16 forearm (Super 16 forearm)
Super 16 forearm [message #29862] Mon, 17 March 2014 20:57 Go to next message
rchatting is currently offline  rchatting
Forum Regular
Got a super 16 bbl on the way in 7-30 waters. Is the screw spacing the same on 16, 21 and 23? I have a rubber TC forearm I bought with a stock that I believe is for the G2 and am hoping it will fit the super 16 bbl.

Thanks.
Re: Super 16 forearm [message #29863 is a reply to message #29862] Mon, 17 March 2014 21:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
the screw spacing is the same for the 16 21 and 23. Your problem may be that the 21, and most 16's are tapered. The 23 is a BULL. The forearm for a 23 will be a sloppy fit on a tapered, and a tapered forend on a bull won't fit at all. I don't think there is a rubber forearm for rifle/carbine barrels, just the pistol 12 and 14's and pistol barrel forearms aren't the same spacing as the rifle/carbines. Then you will have an issue if you're using it on a G-1 frame--no notch to clear the G-1's trigger guard. It would be better if you told us more about the configuration of the 16 7-30, then a pix from the top of the barrel channel of the forearm you would like to use. Make sure to tell us if the barrel is SS or blue. I've explained this numerous times, did you check the Contender reference section? I have more to add there, but one project at a time. There are a few exceptions.
Jim

[Updated on: Mon, 17 March 2014 21:22]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Super 16 forearm [message #29865 is a reply to message #29863] Mon, 17 March 2014 21:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rchatting is currently offline  rchatting
Forum Regular
I skimmed the reference section and didn't see anything addressing that issue. The forearm I have is definitely a carbine forearm and is plastic. Was just handling the pistol fore end which is rubber. Oops Smile The store where I bought it at had a stainless .410/45colt carbine barrel with this forearm and stock with it. The stock is for a G2 as I just tried it to see which frame it fit. I will be using it on a G2. I don't have the barrel yet, but it is blue. Aren't some of the super 16 bbls bull? I looked at one the other day a friend had and it was definitely bull, but believe it did say custom shop on it. Sloppy is better than no forearm though. Smile
index.php?t=getfile&id=4803&private=0

Thanks.

• Attachment: 7-30.jpg
    (Size: 48.80KB, Downloaded 419 times)

[Updated on: Mon, 17 March 2014 21:31]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Super 16 forearm [message #29867 is a reply to message #29865] Mon, 17 March 2014 21:52 Go to previous message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
ahhh, rubber is not composite/plastic. If that pix is of the barrel it's definately a tapered--just one barrel lock. made 89 or 90.91 and 92's are two. Rynite SXS shotgun "beavertail style" wide at the bottom tapering as you go up the sides. That's the G-1 16/21 forend. They have two "carbine spaced" screw holes, just forget about using the rear screw. I plan to get up an article with pix of all the various G-1 forends and stocks/grips. And yes there are some bulls. The later ones were all bulls and had Muzzle tamers. Custom shop barrels are "custom", don't rely on them to tell you much about factory barrels. Since the barrel is tapered and your forend is for a tapered 16/21, you should be ready to go. The pix was worth 10,000 verbal/written descriptions. Tell you what, I'll send you via PM a link to a pix of the G-1 16/21 forend. It may be a wood version, but the wood and rynite are essentially identical in shape, size, etc. The forend in the link WILL fit the barrel you show in the pix.
Jim
Previous Topic: Getting started
Next Topic: Bolt Handle
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 16:17:39 EDT 2024