Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Reloading » 375 jdj (Not much load data for this round)
375 jdj [message #30051] Mon, 24 March 2014 02:22 Go to next message
fishcoho is currently offline  fishcoho
Novice Contributor
Well folks, I've been working up loads for my new 375 jdj 23" bbl. first string single rounds were for pressure tests that started with re-15 @ 45.0 up to 49.5 gr at .5 gr steps with 250 gr sierra slugs. First 3 rounds were adjusting impacts onto paper. After holes were punching paper, I shot remaining rounds. Powder charges 48.0 and 48.5 shots were stacked on top of each other. I then made 20 rounds with the 48.0 gr charges and zeroed in scope 3" high at 100 yds. First 4 shots of the rounds were for adjusting impacts on top of center. Shots 5 and 6 made one ragged hole and shot 7 was 1" right and slightly lower than ragged hole. I shot 5 more rounds but accuracy was fading. Re-15 @ 48.0 gr using sierra 250 gr slugs show promise up to the seventh round.

Anyone shooting the 375 jdj?
Re: 375 jdj [message #30054 is a reply to message #30051] Mon, 24 March 2014 08:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
Just curious, where were you getting what limited load data there was from? Did you do any bore cleaning in all of this? You're apparantly shooting a contender, G-1 or G-2? What Butt-pad is on the stock? If G-1 or G-2 has the trigger been adjusted for best best smooth let-off? Scope mount and rings? Bench? rest? bipod? sand/lead bags?
Jim
Re: 375 jdj [message #30063 is a reply to message #30054] Mon, 24 March 2014 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Novice Contributor
The powder and charge weights were from ssk I think. When I ordered the reloading die and brass they tossed in the box recomended starting charge weights for a few powders but, re-15 and imr 4064 only ones I had on their list. And some bullet seating recommendations. I have not tried the imr 4064 yet.
All synthetic, the forearm and butt stock and rubber butt pad. Resting the forearm in top of the atv chair. Not sure about the not sure about the trigger creep setting, I messed with those once and my buddy who got me started reloading and into tc's took my frame and readjusted the settings. I told him I ain't touching those things again and never have.
I scrubbed out the barrel after the pressure string tests. Which I shot during the winter x-mas break from work in December. Then the zeroing and group testing I did last week when I went home on a Moose hunt. Bagged one, single shot entry exit wound thru rib cage with the 375 jdj. Just shy under 50 yds. I'm not to picky with bug hole accuracy with meat bangers but having a 2 shot ragged hole with a follow up 1" away looks sweet. I'm sure this barrel will smooth out and settle like my 22 hornet and 30/30.
Scott
Re: 375 jdj [message #30064 is a reply to message #30063] Mon, 24 March 2014 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
I use 4064 in my 358 JDJ, and get tiny cloverleafs. You can get 375 data from SSK, they'll email a copy to you. It's one of Jone's "Pets" so he tested a lot for accuracy and velocity, so scour over the comments he lists with loads. The bore may be a "bit rough" and copper fouling, may need to use some of the tricks to smooth it out quicker, and maybe not get fouling so quick. May also want to swap to a decent recoil pad, don't know how sensitive you are to recoil, it can cause flynching, especially after getting pounded the first few shots. Smooth trigget and no surprise fires helps, the shorter as feasible inital creep as well. Good mount, rings and scope help a lot too.
Jim

[Updated on: Mon, 24 March 2014 12:10]

Report message to a moderator

Re: 375 jdj [message #30084 is a reply to message #30064] Tue, 25 March 2014 01:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Novice Contributor
Thanks for the info Jim, I like how the frame is set up now with the synthetic stock. And I don't have any problems with the recoil. Just hold steady n squeeze. I hope the scope can handle the pounding tho. It's a weaver fixed low power scope. The low magnification suits my type of big game hunting. Up close and personal. I'm just using virgin brass and setting the fire formed ones off to the side. I'm pretty impressed with the 2 shot ragged hole with the follower 1" away. I'm sure this barrel will work out.
Scott
Re: 375 jdj [message #30087 is a reply to message #30084] Tue, 25 March 2014 07:11 Go to previous message
Top Contributor
I would certainly think so since they are fireforming loads. Once fireformed and reloaded again, it'll likely be a one-holer. Sounda like you have a "keeper", enjoy it.
Jim
Previous Topic: 17 Remington
Next Topic: .38 Special reloading problem - Funnel issues? Something else?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 09:07:53 EDT 2024