Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Reloading » .38 Special reloading problem - Funnel issues? Something else?
.38 Special reloading problem - Funnel issues? Something else? [message #30412] Sat, 05 April 2014 21:39 Go to next message
cajuntec is currently offline  cajuntec
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
I've been reloading necked rifle ammo for a while now without issues. Most of my reloading has been with Lil' Gun in the .300AAC, but I've used some other powders for other calibers as well and never had an issue until tonight.

Today was my first try at .38 Special. I'm reloading for my son's T/C Encore rifle, and wanted to load some up for next weekend. I picked Bullseye for the powder, and was going to start at 3.7 grains and see how that would work.

This was my first experience reloading with 3 die sets / pistol calibers / straight wall cases.

The expander die was a bit confusing, but I finally got a very light bell at the top, just the way the instructions said. I looked up pics on the internet to ensure I wasn't under or over expanding the very top of the case. Everything looked good. I just wasn't used to having to do this additional step.

I adjusted my powder drop and started dropping powder into a pan and weighing each charge with my balance beam scale. I know that many just get it set and then charge from the powder drop, but I like to check every charge for a perfect weight and then pour into the case with my powder funnel - Especially when I'm reloading something my 10 year old is going to shoot.

After the second case, I noticed something that has never happened before - I've got flakes of Bullseye in the case tray on the side of the case - like I'm missing the case a bit. I poured out that charge into my pan and reweighed it - it was light. So it's coming from me pouring into the case through that funnel. I tried a few more pours, but it kept "leaking" powder somehow. I'm not sure how it's doing it, as I'm ensuring I have a straight shot from the funnel mouth to the case interior, and I'm pushing down a bit on the funnel to get a good seal around the case mouth.

After 8 bad leaky pours, I stopped, dumped all the powder back into the hopper from the cases, then dumped all the powder back into the jug. Cleaned everything up for the night and came on here to see if I could get some suggestions.

Do you think it's just the inexpensive MTM funnel that came with my Hornady Lock & Load kit, or do you think it's something else (like that case belling that I've never done before - maybe I have that screwed up some way).

Frustrated tonight, as I was hoping to have about 65 rounds loaded up for him today. But I'd rather be safe than sorry, so I'm not going to keep reloading until I figure this out.

All the best,
Glenn

If at first you don't succeed... buy newer / better equipment!
Re: .38 Special reloading problem - Funnel issues? Something else? [message #30413 is a reply to message #30412] Sat, 05 April 2014 22:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sunnysmarine is currently offline  sunnysmarine
Glen the funnel is not seating on the case mouth most likely and is allowing powder to spill I have had this same problem I have extra funnels and ended up cutting the long tube a bit to help if the tube contacts the loading block its to long. hope this helps
Re: .38 Special reloading problem - Funnel issues? Something else? [message #30414 is a reply to message #30413] Sat, 05 April 2014 22:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
Glenn, The bell leaves a "taper" at the top of the case. the funnel is an opposite taper, as the case goes up, the taper gets tighter. when sitting, you've got essentially a diamond cavity. Bullseye is a wacky powder anyway, subject easily to static charges. That leaves a little sitting in that "diamond cavity" and when you lift the funnel, it opens the gap, and the powder falls, unfortunately outside the case edge.
What powder measure do you have? is it a micrometer type for charge setting? If it is, they're generally good enough to just drop direct into the case. Sounds like a pretty "wimpy" load anyway, a tenth or two +/- isn't going to matter much. In a rifle a 38 special is hardly more than a 22 mag, so a 10 year old should easily be able to handle normal loads. My daughter at 8 was shooting full-house 7TCU's
What kind/style bullets you loading, you may well not even need the bell, which is generally for a solid lead wadcutter or semi wadcutter, etc. Half jacketed with any champher at all should easily seat in a 38 spcl case with a slight champher on the inner mouth.
Now don't quote me because it's been at least 50 years or more since I l;ast loaded for the 38, but if memory serves me right, the lead bullets used an "M" expander for the "flare" It also mattered if the lead bullet had a gas check with expanding technique recommended. I also found, back then, that they overexaggerated what the "bell/flare" looked like, but it really isn't very much. still required the champher at the inner mouth.
I still have that 38 Special die set. now the dies load 38,357mag and max, so mine are almost an antique. Been trying to decide what to do with them, not into straight-wall pistol rounds of any size.
Watch out for lube residue, that can make messes too. red-dot,green-dot,blue-dot,bullseye,herco,and unique all have about the same issues when loading pistol cases. Balls tend to be more uniform but some so bitty they almost want to float in the air.

Jim
Re: .38 Special reloading problem - Funnel issues? Something else? [message #30415 is a reply to message #30414] Sat, 05 April 2014 23:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
Thanks Sunny and Jim.

Jim - You're description of the "diamond cavity" is spot on. Even if it's not visible to the naked eye (the bottom part of the diamond is so subtle), it's the shape.

The powder measure I have is the Hornady. Non micrometer. In measuring dropped charges, it varies sometimes by one or two tenths of a grain. I know it's a wimpy load, and doesn't kick at all. Just being safe by repeating my normal procedures that I use in the high powered rifle rounds. I'm one of those people that once I have a routine, I don't like messing it up, as it makes me nervous when dealing with stuff that goes bang. But I understand what you are saying. I might adjust the powder drop tomorrow and just load from the drop, checking rounds every now and then to ensure I'm getting the same drop.

The bullets I'm reloading are Hornady Jacketed Hollow Points. I got them for cheap, so I don't mind using them for punching paper. What you said about might not needing the bell makes sense. I had already used the resizing die and went straight to the seater die when setting up, and it loaded the bullet just fine (no powder, no primer - just messing the the die setup). Then I started messing with that "other" die - the expander. The instructions said it was needed to bell the case so the bullet would load easier, but I didn't have any issues loading the first test bullet without it. Oh well - they are all belled now, so I'll just go with that this time, and next time I might try without it.

I'm not using any lube with these dies - they are Nitride. I made sure I wiped all the dry lube / cleaner off the powder drop before loading powder in it.

Someone suggested on another site that I try wiping down my funnel with a non-static cloth. I was thinking of wiping it down with a dryer sheet and seeing if that will help.

Thank you very much for the heads up on the problem powders, and for the advice. I'll try again tomorrow!

All the best,
Glenn

Re: .38 Special reloading problem - Funnel issues? Something else? [message #30416 is a reply to message #30414] Sat, 05 April 2014 23:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sunnysmarine is currently offline  sunnysmarine
Jim, I like to watch Trail Boss float looks like packing peanuts in a breeze what a pain, good call on the diameter created by the bell maybe catching at an angle
Re: .38 Special reloading problem - Funnel issues? Something else? [message #30417 is a reply to message #30416] Sat, 05 April 2014 23:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kc2htv is currently offline  kc2htv
Forum Regular
Glenn: Jim was spot on with the info on not having to use the sizer die with semi or full jacketed bullets. I do a bunch of .38 with carbides using nickle plated cases. I get a bit anal, and use my hornandy case tool to put just a bit of a bevel on the inside, and a quick lick around the outside for feeding as I don't use a crimp. The bases on most semi jacketed bullets is usually slightly camphered anyway. Static will play heck with flake powder, especially with the funnel. I love my RCBS powder drop for bunches of pistol rounds. I still check every 4th drop, but with the RCBS micro adjustable meter, I usually never vary enough to tell when shooting.
Rick

The barter system is alive and well, but the learning curve can be painful.

Certified NYS Hunter Safety Instructor.
Certified NYS Bow Hunter Safety Instructor.
Re: .38 Special reloading problem - Funnel issues? Something else? [message #30418 is a reply to message #30417] Sun, 06 April 2014 01:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
I treat straight wall and bottlenecks the same with jacketed bullets. A neck is a neck, and it's only what's below is different. Solid lead bullets will shave lead if you don't watch out. Like rick, i like a nice bevel in the inside, and a light wipe on the outside mostly just to clean off any burr or abnormality. Now that they're belled, you *could" maybe gently run em back through the sizer and change the expander plug. If primed, just remove the decapping pin. When loading for the big boys I'll bet I'm more "anal" than you. I throw with a pwder measure that really throws tight charges as is, But'll I'll drop a smidge short then go to the powder dribbler. When it's REAL CLOSE I hand select (grain powders like 4831) bitty pieces by how much more I need to get perfect, like a 1/4 length granule, 1/2 length, 3/4 length, etc. I still check the powder drop every 5th load. Pistol rounds tho are pretty crude. Relatively small charges. it's not like you're gonna try and take the head of a red-ant at 400 yards, more like punchin a 2 liter pop bottle at 40 or 50.

Jim

[Updated on: Sun, 06 April 2014 13:40] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: .38 Special reloading problem - Funnel issues? Something else? [message #30432 is a reply to message #30418] Sun, 06 April 2014 13:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
Jim,
Thanks for the info. I split off the accuracy / teaching kids to shoot to another section under Gun Talk so it wouldn't get buried in this reloading section.

I reloaded 68 rounds this morning. After setting it up and checking a dozen drops for consistancy, I started loading. I checked every 10th dump - less than a 1/10th of a grain difference every time, so always between 3.7 and 3.8 grains, which is well within specs for the load I'm using. So I just loaded straight from the powder drop. Not one spill. Worked great.

All the best,
Glenn

Re: .38 Special reloading problem - Funnel issues? Something else? [message #30433 is a reply to message #30432] Sun, 06 April 2014 13:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
One thing I realized though - if I'm not having powder get away from me with the powder drop (basically a small funnel underneath), then it IS my funnel that is the problem here. I think I'm going to invest in some of those Satern aluminum / brass mouth funnels from Brownells. Pricey, but probably a good investment.
All the best,
Glenn

Re: .38 Special reloading problem - Funnel issues? Something else? [message #30434 is a reply to message #30433] Sun, 06 April 2014 14:02 Go to previous message
Top Contributor
I've been using I think an MTM I got YEARS ago. yellow plastic and I think it had two "bottom ends" to choose from. Unless you really wore it out, or gouged it from use, (too rough perhaps) I don't think it's the funnel itself, or it's material. Your powder drop may be a little larger or smaller in inside diameter and that was likely the critical factor.
Jim
Previous Topic: 375 jdj
Next Topic: Cleaning out a powder drop - The easy way
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 12:16:39 EDT 2024