Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » DIY Gunsmithing » Upgrades to my XDs
Upgrades to my XDs [message #30750] Sat, 19 April 2014 14:56 Go to next message
cajuntec is currently offline  cajuntec
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
With everything done to my Encores that I can possibly think of (for now), I decided it was time to work on some other stuff. My new XDs pistol was in need of some trigger work (it was a little stiff, even after several hundred rounds), so I installed a Powder River Precision spring kit. Feels MUCH better (reduced the pull by 1lb, 12oz, so it is a considerable / noticeable difference). I also installed some Pearce grip extensions on my short mags, and decided to try out a Lacquer Stik from Brownells for filling in the engravings. It worked awesome! Probably the easiest I've ever done engraving / etching fill. The final product:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v111/cajuntec/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps55a84fbe.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v111/cajuntec/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsd8655f5f.jpg

All the best,
Glenn

If at first you don't succeed... buy newer / better equipment!
Re: Upgrades to my XDs [message #30773 is a reply to message #30750] Sun, 20 April 2014 07:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kc2htv is currently offline  kc2htv
Forum Regular
Glenn: That is a beautiful piece! Have you played with any accessories like the red or green laser sights? Reason I ask, I have 2 Walther's one in 40 s&w and one in .22 and love to shoot both. I had given thought to buying a Walther red, or possibly an after market green laser sight. Most of my range shooting is 5 to 20 yards. Never tried the lasers but they intrigue me. Problem is that they start at $100 for Walther and the greens can go $300 for a good one. Justifying the expense is at issue.
Rick

The barter system is alive and well, but the learning curve can be painful.

Certified NYS Hunter Safety Instructor.
Certified NYS Bow Hunter Safety Instructor.
Re: Upgrades to my XDs [message #30780 is a reply to message #30773] Sun, 20 April 2014 10:37 Go to previous message
cajuntec is currently offline  cajuntec
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
Rick,
I've only put laser sights on one pistol, and I didn't like them at all. It may have only been the pistol that I put them on (Ruger LCP), but they drove me crazy. They are supposed to allow quicker sight acquisition, but they worked the opposite for me, and I spent more time adjusting where the dot was aiming than I would with regular sights. I'd much rather have a quality set of regular sights on my pistol. The XDs above came with a red fiber front, which is really easy to pick up in every lighting condition I've tested it in so far. The rears are regular white dots, just like my other pistols. I'm very tempted to swap out all the front sights on my other Springfields with a similar front sight, as it works really well.

All the best,
Glenn

If at first you don't succeed... buy newer / better equipment!
Previous Topic: SS Contender screws
Next Topic: Assembly video
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 03:29:52 EDT 2024