Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » DIY Gunsmithing » DIY Hinge pin tool (Encore/Contender home made tools)
DIY Hinge pin tool [message #30916] Sun, 27 April 2014 00:17 Go to next message
kc2htv is currently offline  kc2htv
Forum Regular
For years now, I have used just about everything in my toolbox, or glove box to knock out, and reset my hinge pins. With the 1X pins it gets a bit tuff to get them in, or out. I had a little time on my hands at work tonight, so I raided the scrap bucket, and found a small chunk of brass. Took it out to the lathe, and turned it down. The pin is .350" by 1" and just a bit longer than an Encore pin. The barrel is 5/8" by 1" which makes the total length 2". There is a small beveled shoulder where the pin merges with the barrel. This keeps it from slapping the side of the receiver, when punching through on pin removal. I point out that .350 is just a bit smaller than the diameter of a Contender pin, so the tool will work with both Encore or Tender pins. Not much to look at but, I gave it a try, and was surprised at how well it worked. Smile The pic's show a couple of 30-30 shells, and an Encore pin for size comparison.
index.php?t=getfile&id=4983&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=4984&private=0

The barter system is alive and well, but the learning curve can be painful.

Certified NYS Hunter Safety Instructor.
Certified NYS Bow Hunter Safety Instructor.
Re: DIY Hinge pin tool [message #30937 is a reply to message #30916] Sun, 27 April 2014 23:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lepcur is currently offline  lepcur
Top Contributor
Looks good Rick, heck I cut a piece of wood dowel and use. Just not as pretty as yours. Mike
Re: DIY Hinge pin tool [message #30942 is a reply to message #30937] Mon, 28 April 2014 09:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rchatting is currently offline  rchatting
Forum Regular
I just used a piece of dowel. Didn't reduce mine, straight. His is purty though.
Re: DIY Hinge pin tool [message #46573 is a reply to message #30942] Sun, 21 March 2021 11:47 Go to previous message
cajuntec is currently offline  cajuntec
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
Current commercially available version offered by Haus of Arms: https://www.hausofarms.com/Hinge-Pin-Tool_p_366.html
All the best,
Glenn

If at first you don't succeed... buy newer / better equipment!
Previous Topic: Mounts / Rings
Next Topic: 500 S&W Katahdin Barrel Forearm Problems
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 18:05:58 EDT 2024