Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » DIY Gunsmithing » Encore forend to Contender
Encore forend to Contender [message #31863] Sat, 21 June 2014 19:22 Go to next message
buffleheadnc2 is currently offline  buffleheadnc2
Forum Newbie
I recently got a Contender with a 14 in 3030 barrel. I have an Encore rifle walnut forearm and want a longer forearm on the Contender. It looks like I will have about 2 inches of barrel left at the end which is about what I was wanting. It will of course require some fitting but any body see why it wont work??

[Updated on: Sat, 21 June 2014 23:44] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: encore forend to contender [message #31873 is a reply to message #31863] Sat, 21 June 2014 23:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cajuntec is currently offline  cajuntec
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
I'm pretty sure the ears will stick far out on each side of the frame. I don't own a Contender, but I was thinking the Encore is considerably wider than a Contender frame, so the ears will have a larger gap than normal. Not sure on this either, but I'm pretty sure you will have to drill new screw holes, as I don't think the pattern is the same. Barrel profiles are also different (diameters).

With all the modifications you might have to do, I'd just sell it here and buy a Contender forearm.

All the best,
Glenn

If at first you don't succeed... buy newer / better equipment!
Re: encore forend to contender [message #31875 is a reply to message #31873] Sun, 22 June 2014 07:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jamesgammel is currently offline  jamesgammel
Top Contributor
I think here it's the age-old quest to get the "mannlicher" look, forend approaching the muzzle, even with a pistol. That was a pretty popular quest when choate came out with their flimsy barrel extension for use with their buttstocks before the 21's and later 16's. As Glenn pointed out, use of an encore forends also has an additional problem with their mounting holes being larger in diameter than the #10 screws used on the Contender. Best option at this point would be for a "custom" full bull contender rifle forend. Cleaning out some old boxes, I ran across two very long semi-inletted and formed walnut Bishop stock sets (rifle) with two very long forends, one fairly plain, the other semi "fancy" grade. One measures 11 1/8, the other 10 3/4. On a super 14 barrel they'd approach what the OP was shooting for 1 3/4 to 2" short of the muzzle. Shape-wise very similar to the current production 14" forends, including the slight "snable" at the forward end. Standard super 14 forends are roughly 7 1/4" in length. And yes, the frames are about a 1/4" or more difference in width's, so Glenn is right about encore forends leaving a pretty gappy result if used as the "base" for starting this project.
Jim

[Updated on: Sun, 22 June 2014 07:57]

Report message to a moderator

Re: encore forend to contender [message #31878 is a reply to message #31875] Sun, 22 June 2014 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
buffleheadnc2 is currently offline  buffleheadnc2
Forum Newbie
Yeah figured it would be a long shot but thought I would see what yall thought. I van work with wood but not the best by any means
Re: encore forend to contender [message #47889 is a reply to message #31878] Thu, 25 April 2024 19:08 Go to previous message
gemihur is currently offline  gemihur
Forum Regular
Now this is alot of wood on a forearm
https://i.postimg.cc/bNXDVQ06/big-forearm.jpg

Think twice...shoot once.
Previous Topic: Snap on forend question.
Next Topic: Locking Bolt and Extractors
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 18:25:00 EDT 2024