Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Gun Talk » .30 Herrett instead of .300 blackout or .300 Whisper?
Re: .30 Herrett instead of .300 blackout or .300 Whisper? [message #37146 is a reply to message #37143] Wed, 25 February 2015 19:52 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
gemihur is currently offline  gemihur
Forum Regular
Amen, Jim! I've had barrels wearing a choate brake before and you had to durn near give 'em away! Ugly Ducklings, I would call 'em. Only a small audience will buy 'em.
As for the 30 Herrett and 357 Herrett barrels...
Bob Milek and Steve Herrett designed those cartridges to perform in the 10" barrels. If you use them in 14's or longer you might as well have stayed with the 30-30 or 35 Remington.
At least you'd get better ballistics and not have to go through all those steps to create the brass for a cartridge designed for a shorter tube. in a 10" bbl, they shine!
Well, it's intersesting That Rich brought up the 6.8 SPC, I'd have included another newcomer to this discussion, the 6.5 Grendel. All these newly designed cartridges were expressly engineered to accomodate the AR's platform. Hense, candidates for specific government contracts. My vote goes to the Grendel.
Bill Alexander brought from the UK a deep understanding of smallarm warfare and ballistics. Evolving first from the 220 Russian to the 6mmPPC he compiled the design to utilize the highest ballistic coefficient bullet tolerated by the case, the 6.5 mm. I'll grant you that factory loads are in the 90-123 gr. range but for downrange energy, per bill Alexander himself, the 130 and 140 gr bullets carry on with zeal! He claims, and I don't, that it's an 800 yd. round! If you research you will find it excells the 6.8 SPC, the 300 BLK, the 7.62X39 and the 5.56 out past the 500 yard range.
I've found great availability of components for ammo utilizing RP 7.62X39 brass, it's the only domestic brand in that chambering , aside from costly Lapua, that offered the small primer pockets and with a nominal charge of your favorite stick powder and a heavy bullet, It ROCKS!!. It is a custom only chamber, but it works real good in the contender... 'nuff said.

Think twice...shoot once.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message