Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Gun Talk » Contender failure to reset (Contender fails to cock when opened then shut)
Contender failure to reset [message #39735] Sat, 12 December 2015 21:36 Go to previous message
Hankpac
Forum Newbie
I have a receiver and barrel combo that I have had for at least 15 years, and bought it used.
I picked up a 30-30 barrel (both are super 14s) to use for hunting.
I noticed lately that when the barrel of either is on the receiver and I break it to reload, when closing it, it does not stay cocked. I can hear the mechanism drop inside when I close it, so I have to re-open at least a couple of times and hope it locks.
Once locked it fires normally.
when I obtained it, a factory rep was at the meet, and he replaced all the springs. Almost immediately a pro target shooter clipped a coil or two ( I couldn't see what he was doing) and put it back together. It shot sweetly, and with the slightest breath. Great for targets, somewhat sensitive for jack rabbits, but actually incredible for rested shooting for larger game (deer, hogs). I shot perhaps 600 rounds of .223, not hot at all, in the intervening time, and about 150 rounds of 30-30, with 150 gr ballistic tips. Again not a hot load at all.
Is something broke? the spring worn?
do it my self, or send it in?

www.tigerforcerecon.com

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Barrel hanger
Next Topic: The Coolest Contender Stock - Ever
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 18 19:48:09 EDT 2024