Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » General Conversation » 270? 35 caliber? (Why?)
Re: 270? 35 caliber? [message #41405 is a reply to message #41229] Thu, 14 July 2016 14:25 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
rchatting is currently offline  rchatting
Forum Regular
I have a .270 and like it alot. However, I wished the .280 had became popular instead of the .270. The .280 is no better ballistic wise but it has more bullet options out there. But the .270 is everywhere they sell bullets and will be for a long time.

As for the .35, I previously had no .35 other than .357 mag. I just got a CVA .35 Remington last year and hunted with it. It is my new 100 yard deer gun favorite. Nice and light and dropped both 200+ lb hogs I shot with it DRT. Furthermore, when I opened them up, I had zero bloodshot meat, you could "eat right up to the hole" as I have heard others say. I believe the larger meplat contributes to a quicker DRT without needing the velocity of a high powered rifle and at the lower velocity, had no blood shot meat. If I didn't reload, it would be too costly to shoot much as the ammo is virtually non-existent these days.

Unfortunately in the firearm world, much of what is popular isn't based on ballistics but on hype and advertising. I find many that are not as into guns as we are and or do not reload, do not understand the real world differences between cartridges.

Was in a gun store with a sale on Savage 111 in 30-06 and .270. Guy asked if they had it in .308 and they said no. I suggested getting the 30-06 and he said the .308 had more "shock power" and that was why he wanted it. No idea what that was and I decided it was best to not argue with him as he was quite adamant. Someone told him that, he believed it and now it is fact in his mind. There is a lot of that going on.

When you get down to it, there are tons of ballistically similar cartridges that overlap and really are pointless to have made the new one, but marketing thought it was a good idea and it was for awhile. Look at all of the ultra mags and short mags, they had standard counter parts that had stood the test of time. Most of the new ones faded out. Now the cost of those cartridges is 2 to 3 times the standard calibers.

Today, a .280 is a better solution over the .270 for reloading, but not for buying ammo.
The .260 remington is better modern solution over the 6.5x55 but it has not really caught on.
The .308 will almost do what a 30-06 will do, but falls a bit short, yet both are quite popular.
220 swift and 22-250 are dang close, but the 22-250 is the one that is most popular and more common.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Possible concern - joan10001 - new member
Next Topic: First Moose 2016
Goto Forum: