Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Reloading » Just trying to create controversy (Reduced Loads)
Just trying to create controversy [message #44031] Mon, 05 March 2018 22:31 Go to previous message
pinecone is currently offline  pinecone
I've been reloading rifle calibers for a long time. I'm just starting get into the realm between slow pistol powders and fast rifle powders and the dreaded detonation, pre-ignition, secondary ignition and flashover from reduced loads!! I've always respected it but never studied it until now.

I'v read on the forums everything that say it doesn't exist to "I blew my gun up 5 times but only my neighbor was hurt" !!
So on to the context: With the advent of the MSR's (Modern Sport Rifles i.e Black guns) I find guys using small amounts of the fastest pistol/rifle powders in much larger cases (300 BO, 308, 350 bewolf, etc.) in the process of seeking Subsonic loads or low velocity loads for quieter and I guess less offensive shooting. I personally can't tell much difference in sound but my hearing isn't the best. I don't know if it was 35 years of helicopters or because I didn't shoot subsonic loads...? I read that "never load less than 10% of the published maximum load", which if you do the math is usually the published minimum. 4895 can be reduced to 60 % per the manufacture. You can't fill a straight wall case with enough slow rifle powder to get to maximum pressure but if you go 2 grs. under minimum your gun will blow up. You can safely load any load 10% under the published minimum..... and many more.

I truthfully don't understand because I have never found a plausible explanation for any of the above. Now you see modern powders that are declared non-position sensitive, not temperature sensitive and in the case of Trail Boss, load anything to the bottom of the bullet and shoot so these powder types should do away with the problem, right? While I don't know about reduced loads I do know about Boyle's Law and that could possibly lead one to think that flash over or what ever you want to call it couldn't happen ! to stir the pot a little, does anyone have thoughts or Ideas on the subject, would appreciate the input.

[Updated on: Mon, 05 March 2018 22:34]

Report message to a moderator

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message