Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Gun Talk » Best 22 long rifle rimfire option? (I want to shoot 22 long rifle with my Encore frames)
Re: Best 22 long rifle rimfire option? [message #45902 is a reply to message #45901] Fri, 21 February 2020 12:53 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
cajuntec is currently offline  cajuntec
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
luvmyencore wrote on Fri, 21 February 2020 11:58

I usually don't trust used barrels, as I am a firm believer that if they are "Shooters" (Lights out), then I wouldn't sell it. That means if they aren't shooters, they are usually sold off. I know that's not the always case. I don't mind spending a bit more for a good product, but $500 plus for a 22 rimfire barrel is a bit steep for me. That keeps custom makers out of the loop. I may look to find a new factory barrel for now. Thanks again.

Actually, that is just as likely to be "seldom the case". People sell off barrels for all kinds of reasons, and I've personally sold some real shooters over the years.

I have bought and sold at least 4 (that I can remember) 26" heavy profile factory .25-06 barrels, and all were outstanding shooters, even with inexpensive factory ammo. I'd buy, work up a load (which in many cases was the same or very close to the previous .25-06 load I worked up for previous barrels), and then for whatever reason (boredom, lack of use, found something newer I wanted, someone offered me good money for it, or in one case, just helping out a friend), I sold or traded it.

I recently moved back to VA (muzzleloading and shotgun slugs for deer in my area). When I had moved to TX over 10 years ago, there was no muzzleloading season, and center fire rifles were allowed, so I had sold off my muzzleloader / slug shotgun stuff. I had to re-buy that stuff when I moved back to VA, and since I couldn't use centerfire rifles to hunt deer in my area, I sold off some great shooters (7mm-08, 6.8 SPC), as well as a .243 I had bought for my son but he never used because he preferred his .357 Max, and a .22-250 that I bought for hunting coyotes in TX, but never got the chance to shoot.

So don't be shy in buying used barrels. We have some great members on this site that have been buying and selling for many years. Do a bit of homework in checking out sellers in the feedback section, and good luck in finding something you like.

Personal opinion - I love my Contenders, G2 Contenders, and Encores. But when it comes to rimfire, Ruger normally has my attention these days. The TCR22 by Thompson Center has been on my list since it was first announced. As it's basically a Ruger 10/22 variant (uses the same magazines as well), I'll likely purchase one someday (hopefully soon).

All the best,
Glenn

If at first you don't succeed... buy newer / better equipment!

[Updated on: Fri, 21 February 2020 12:56]

Report message to a moderator

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Stainless frame with a "5" in the prefix instead of an "S"
Next Topic: What's your Unicorn?