Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Gun Talk » Contender Barrel ID
Re: Contender Barrel ID [message #46507 is a reply to message #46506] Sun, 28 February 2021 16:19 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
cajuntec is currently offline  cajuntec
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
Going by a chart that was passed to me by a former member, it's at least a Type V or later (and he listed types I through VIII), due to it having a stepped lug (type IV still had a flat bottom lug). He was talking more about the Super 14's, but mentioned the 16 and 21 inch barrels in a few places. Something else that stands out is that he mentioned type VII being the first with screwed on front sites, as the VI still had front's soldered on. I'm not sure if it was the same for all length barrels, but it would make sense if they were doing it for the pistols, they were likely also doing it for the carbines / rifles. So it's likely even later - type VII or later.

On the Type V he also wrote that they changed somewhere in that timeframe from one piece to two piece locking bolts. Hard to tell from the angle - but it almost looks like a one piece locking bolt.

If it's a 21" barrel, then it's pre 2003, as they changed to 23" bull barrels at that time.

Oh - found one more thing. The circled letter on the right hand side of the lug started happening in 1992. So that barrel is at least a 1992 or newer.

That's all I have though. The other distinctions were between types of sites. And since yours doesn't have the factory sites on it, we can't use that as an identifier either.

All the best,
Glenn

If at first you don't succeed... buy newer / better equipment!

[Updated on: Sun, 28 February 2021 16:24]

Report message to a moderator

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: T/C 7mm TCU barrel???