Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » General Conversation » Amusing Hunting Stories - Place them here!
Re: Amusing Hunting Stories - Place them here! [message #16285 is a reply to message #16283] Sun, 25 November 2012 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
cajuntec is currently offline  cajuntec
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
I'll preface this by saying that I've never shot my own turkey. I want to. Just never have. Ok... on to the story.

Last year, on one of the few hunts I was able to go on, I was sitting in my ground blind, enjoying an evening hunt. It was getting towards the end of shooting hours, but the sun was still up. Off in the distance, I hear a turkey. Getting excited, I grabbed my slate call and give it a few strokes with the carbon striker. Immediately, I get a reply. Now, I've never called in a turkey, so I have no idea what I'm doing. I'm just going by the instructional video I watched, and I have no idea what is replying or why. I hit it a few more times, and I get a reply this time louder and closer sounding. Now I'm really stoked. I continue the call and reply routine a few times until it sounds like the dang thing is right on top of me.

That is when I realize that IT IS!!! Out of the corner window of my blind, I see a bluish / grey head and a slightly darker body. It is less than 20 yards from me.
That is when I panicked Because my bow still had a deer broadhead in it vice the Magnus Bullhead I had brought along for just such an occasion.

So I slowly and carefully pull the arrow off my string and load the turkey broadhead onto the string. I now have my release clipped on the string, and I'm ready to go. As it steps out in front of my blind at less than 5 yards, I realize that what I'm seeing is a non-bearded hen, which for the past several years have always been against the rules to shoot. So she walks past my blind without me drawing. Then another, then another, then another.... They just kept on coming! Not a beard on a single one of them. I knew the base rules stated gobblers, jakes, and bearded hens only, so the bow never came up.

I get back to the hunt shack to check in and they ask if I've seen anything. I tell them the story above, and two of the old men working there get grins on their faces. I ask them what's up, and that is when they lay it on me....
The rules for the base changed two weeks prior to conform with the state hunting regulations, which state "Either Sex" during the Fall season.
I could have shot my first turkey!!! But instead, I let at least a half-dozen of them walk close enough to me that I could have spit to them.

Oh well.... Such has been my hunting luck in Texas. Maybe next year.

If at first you don't succeed... buy newer / better equipment!

Read Message icon10.gif
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message