Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » General Conversation » Amusing Hunting Stories - Place them here!
Re: Amusing Hunting Stories - Place them here! [message #22098 is a reply to message #20781] Thu, 09 May 2013 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
mrmurl is currently offline  mrmurl
Forum Regular

Not an exciting deer story but rather a cute story from my youth.
My grandmother had a little single shot Winchester model 60, (I still have it), she called it her target. She was a crack shot with that little gun. If she wanted to hit it, it was hit. Easily hit a squirrel in the eye in a tree.

My parents and sister and I lived in town by then, and I would spend many days and weeks at my grandparent's house. I would help with many of the chores that had to be done on the small farm where they lived. I cut the grass and helped grandpa draw water for washing. We heated the water in an iron kettle over a wood fire and carry a bucket at a time into grandma's gas powered washing machine. There were many other chores that I could do on the farm for them.

I was about 12 years old at the time, my grandpa and grandma decided we should go visit an ailing widow woman down the road a couple of miles. Grandma never went anywhere without her target. On this day we started out for the short drive to the widow's house. About a half mile from grandma's house there was a mulberry tree and it was loaded with berries. Sure enough there was a squirrel in the tree jumping around and we spotted it. Grandpa stopped the car and I ran around to the other side of the tree to keep it from jumping out and to maybe keep it on the side of the tree where grandma could see it. I finally spotted the squirrel pressed up against the tree trunk not moving a mussel to try to disappear for it knew it could not get away. Grandma told me if I could see it's eye I could shoot it, but I could not see it's eye from where I was so I told her to take the shot if she could see the eye. Well grandma had lost quite a bit of her vision from age and had not gotten her glasses refreshed in a few years. She said that she could see the eye and got in position to shoot. At the crack of the little 22 the squirrel came toppling out of the tree and it was dead when it hit the ground. I ran over and picked it up and looked and it still had both eyes. I told grandma and she said she could see it's eye when she shot. If you are guessing you have probably guessed where she shot the squirrel. Yes, she had shot it square in the butt hole and the bullet had traveled up through and taken out it's heart, but it still had both eyes. Until the day she died we laughed about how well she could see that squirrel's eye when she shot it. Eye or not that squirrel was good eating for supper that night.

Mr. Murl

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Molan Labe

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty." - Benjamin Franklin

“Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.” (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer’s hands.) – Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

"America will never be destroyed from the outside.
If we falter and lose our freedom, it will be because
we destroyed ourselves."
~ ~ Abraham Lincoln ~ ~

Read Message icon10.gif
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message