Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » General Conversation » Amusing Hunting Stories - Place them here!
Re: Amusing Hunting Stories - Place them here! [message #31012 is a reply to message #23783] Thu, 01 May 2014 19:40 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
deet8203 is currently offline  deet8203
Novice Contributor
Not a great hunting story, but more of a reason why I am going to use a 30/30 TC contender this year on Indiana deer. I have hunted for 45 years and killed a lot of game over those years. I have used 44mag, .357 mag, 12 ga, 20 ga, 30/30, ,270, 30-06, and probably several others that I am forgetting. The rifle calibers were used in Michigan. Of all the deer I have shot not one ever went more than 60 yards after being hit. I attribute that to the fact I know where to shoot them, I never shoot one that is out of my range, and I am an experienced enough hunter to use patience.
Then November 2013 deer season happened. In Indiana we can use shotgun slugs, pistols .243 caliber bullets or larger, and rifles that are chambered for pistol caliber rounds (44mag. .357mag, 460, 45colt, 454 etc. I was using a single shot 44 mag rifle in 2013. That gun was dead accurate and the round 240gr jhp also worked well. This day a young buck was chasing a doe about 50 yards from me, I took aim and fired. The buck looked up and stopped. I quickly reloaded and fired a second shot at him as he started to walk away, he just kept moving. I said to myself I must of missed him. As I reloaded a third shot he disappeared into the woods. I began to wait the usual 30 minutes before tracking, I ate lunch, and continued to grunt for him on my buck call every 5 minutes or so. 20 minutes later he appeared on my right side about 50 yards away from me. He disappeared on my left side about 20 minutes earlier. I could clearly see his left side, but saw no exit wounds whatever. The only sign was his front legs were very shaky, I knew it was my buck and took aim at his liver (his chest was behind a tree) I hit him hard, he bucked and ran 20 yards and fell by a tree. I waited 5 minutes and he never moved. I went to retrieve him and when I got 10 yards away he lifted his head, I then put round #4 into his heart. Hunt was over. First time I have ever shot anything that needed 4 shots to expire. I hated that 44 mag, it made me very mad that day. When we got the small buck home (135# buck) we located the first two shots. Both were 1 inch apart and under his fur on his left shoulder. When I field dressed him, his lungs were pretty much destroyed. Shot 1,2 both hit and were in a good location. Yet this buck just walked away. I went to the location were I first shot him, and I walked the trail were he came back to me and both were bloodless, not a spot anywhere. If this buck didn't circle around and come back to me, I doubt that I would of been able to track him. I am going to use a 30/30 this year because it is as hard hitting or more as a 44 mag, and I believe it will be easier to pass thru a deer, which in turn will give me a blood trail to follow. I owe it to the buck and myself to end his life quickly and mercifully.

Read Message icon10.gif
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message