Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Reloading » Shot reloaded shells today - Problems
Shot reloaded shells today - Problems [message #22936] Thu, 27 June 2013 21:41 Go to previous message
cajuntec is currently offline  cajuntec
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
I bought a used MEC 600 JR (the older model) 12 gauge reloader a while back. In comparing the loads to the bushings I was supposed to be using in MEC's chart, I found that it was quite a bit off and had to move up in size. I was checking it with two scales - one Redding beam type, and one Hornady electronic. The chart is only supposed to be a guideline, so I accepted it - even if the bushing I had to use was 3 sizes larger (instead of a 29, I'm using a 32 to throw 17.5 grains of Red Dot). MEC confirmed that it was fine, and the chart was only a guideline. I also noted that the first couple of charges varied. MEC again confirmed that it was normal for the first couple of charges to vary until the powder settled. So I started throwing a couple of powder loads before loading my first shell. Once it settled out, I started reloading.

Brand new Red Dot powder. I bought it. It's fresh. I'm reloading AA shells that had already been primed and stored in a big bag from the previous owner. He said they were Winchester primers.

Today I was shooting my reloads and was doing pretty decent. Not fantastic, but not too bad. I attributed it to my lack of practice. But about the 10th reload made a weird sound, and I missed what should have been a pretty easy shot. My friend said the wad barely made it out, and that it "smoked" more than normal (I noticed the smoke too). I pulled the barrel to make sure it was clear, and then put it back together and headed to the next station. All was fine for a couple of rounds, but then I had another one make a unusual sound, and I missed again. My friend commented that it sounded weird, and had that same puff of smoke he noted before. Checked barrel again - Clear. We kept going and at my second to last position on the skeet range, I had another make a unusual pop, miss, and for the first time ever, this gun didn't eject the shell. I easily manually ejected it and checked the barrel. Everything seemed to be in working order.

Sorry for the long story - but I wanted to cover everything.

My question is - Do you think it was an inconsistent powder load, or do you think my problem was primer related?

All the best,
Glenn

If at first you don't succeed... buy newer / better equipment!

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message