Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » Reloading » Well, I guess rainy days are good for something.... (.300 AAC Blackout)
Well, I guess rainy days are good for something.... [message #24775] Sun, 13 October 2013 23:02 Go to previous message
cajuntec is currently offline  cajuntec
Top Contributor
Forum Admin
I've had these .300 AAC Blackout components on my reloading bench forever.

I had started to reload a chain, working my way up from 17 to 17.8 grains in .2 grain increments with 10 rounds each before I figured out something was wrong with my brass at the start of the 17.2 set. On some, the case mouths were bulging where the bullets were seated. You could see where the bullet seating stopped. Shocked

Lesson learned - "Fully formed and ready to reload" brass.... is a myth. Rolling Eyes I'm still fairly new to reloading, and so when someone offered the above in brass, I thought "Great! Less work!" The thought process was that if someone had reformed .223 brass into .300 AAC, then they had to go through all the work - cutting, necking up, etc... The first thing I did was check the brass for cleanliness, and then I did a length check with my calipers on several of the pieces. Everything seemed to check out. WRONG. Don't know why - but the necks were way tighter than they should have been.

I've already been scolded by a reloading friend. Never, ever, ever, load brass that you haven't personally gone over, checked, resized if necessary, etc...

So, I popped all of the primers out and started over again like it was once fired brass that needed to be fully done. The finished product was re-primed, along with 50 additional pieces, and sat on my workbench forever.

Rainy day today, so I broke out the equipment, closed the door, and got to it.

The result - 99 pieces of .300 AAC Blackout (one primer pocket issue), loaded with 125 grain Sierra ProHunter bullets. They chamber beautifully and are as perfect as I've ever made. Took forever, but it's done. 20 round each, working it's way from 17 grains to 17.8 grains. I can't wait to get to the range now. Then I can start all over with another batch once I figure out what shoots best! Very Happy

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v111/cajuntec/photo-45_zpsb160d9a3.jpg

All the best,
Glenn

If at first you don't succeed... buy newer / better equipment!

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Hornady XTP-HP
Next Topic: Hornady Interlock bullets