Thompson Center Encore Classifieds
Find your Encore Barrels here!

Home » General Conversation » DIY Gunsmithing » DIY Hinge pin tool (Encore/Contender home made tools)
DIY Hinge pin tool [message #30916] Sun, 27 April 2014 00:17 Go to previous message
kc2htv is currently offline  kc2htv
Forum Regular
For years now, I have used just about everything in my toolbox, or glove box to knock out, and reset my hinge pins. With the 1X pins it gets a bit tuff to get them in, or out. I had a little time on my hands at work tonight, so I raided the scrap bucket, and found a small chunk of brass. Took it out to the lathe, and turned it down. The pin is .350" by 1" and just a bit longer than an Encore pin. The barrel is 5/8" by 1" which makes the total length 2". There is a small beveled shoulder where the pin merges with the barrel. This keeps it from slapping the side of the receiver, when punching through on pin removal. I point out that .350 is just a bit smaller than the diameter of a Contender pin, so the tool will work with both Encore or Tender pins. Not much to look at but, I gave it a try, and was surprised at how well it worked. Smile The pic's show a couple of 30-30 shells, and an Encore pin for size comparison.
index.php?t=getfile&id=4983&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=4984&private=0

The barter system is alive and well, but the learning curve can be painful.

Certified NYS Hunter Safety Instructor.
Certified NYS Bow Hunter Safety Instructor.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Mounts / Rings
Next Topic: 500 S&W Katahdin Barrel Forearm Problems
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 16:06:42 EDT 2024